Meet new people. Get involved in the community. Grow in your career. Participate in local government. Discover Des Moines.
At a recent marketing committee meeting, we asked the newer faces in the group why they chose to get involved with YPC. And while their answers were similar – networking, making connections – they each had a different story to tell. Pretty soon, we were all sharing why we joined and why we YPC.
What’s your story? Let us help you find it. Discover YPC.
1. Find a committee. When I first wanted to learn more about YPC, I decided to attend a marketing committee meeting. It was the perfect setting to hear from current members, ask questions and even share my opinions. Not knowing anyone going into the meeting, I was glad there were about a dozen people – it was a good-sized group for everyone to participate and be a part of the conversation. From that first meeting I was hooked. From marketing to charitable to professional development, there are a number of committees to join.
2. Get social. While I found the committee meeting the perfect place to start, another great option is a new member meeting. These informal meetings, held twice monthly, have ambassadors and board members available to share about the committees and answer questions about YPC.If you’re like me, once you’ve attended a smaller meeting and gotten to know people, it’s easier to attend a larger social event like our happy hours or a morning meet-up. Often times we have a fun YPC social event, like this month’s event at SkyZone on April 28.
3. Attend a lunch and learn. Some of my favorite YPC events I have been to are over the lunch hour. From lunch with area CEOs, to speed networking, to meetings with local leaders and decision makers, the lunch events put on by YPC’s professional development and civic committees provide excellent learning and networking opportunities. Check YPC’s calendar for upcoming events that are free or discounted for members.
4. Join a team. From softball to sand volleyball to bowling, athletics are a popular way to get to know people in YPC. Participating in an athletic team is a fun, informal way to connect with other YPC members and make new friends.
5. Give back. One of the most rewarding ways to get involved in YPC is to give back through our charitable endeavors. Our monthly happy hours feature a local nonprofit, and we also plan a corresponding charitable event. Give back and improve the city that we live, work and play in – and have fun while doing it.
There’s no “right” way to get involved in YPC – it is what you make of it. We encourage you to find what fits you best and make the most of it. Discover what you enjoy and why you YPC.
How do you YPC? Tell us in the comments below.
Kristin Schaaf, At-Large Board Member